It’s game night tonight and I have no idea what we’re doing. It’s bullet time!
* It’s been several weeks since Urban Shadows, and the fizz miiiight be out of the bottle now. Dunno. I know at least two players are okay with it, but one “misses the roleplaying” (see previous) and another feels like everything is so reactive that he basically misses the roleplaying as well. It’s weird, right? Story is great, sessions are fun, and yet there’s still that dissatisfaction. Interesting. It’d be trivially easy to get it up and running again re love letters. Or even a reboot, why not? But why bother if they’re just treading water?
It might be that PbtA games are honestly more fun to run than play, at least for our group. Dunno. Thinking about it. I think it’s not true in the same way for all three of my regulars.
* The state of affairs re scifi indie roleplaying continues to be dire. Star Wars, right? So I looked back at my shelf and started pulling titles off to re-read.
Myriad Song just has no direction or guidance at all, and the cute die pool thing isn’t really getting me pumped. I just don’t have the right head space atm to dig into it and force it to work.
I took another long hard look at Edge of the Empire next, and man do I dig the dice. I dig a lot of that game, but Obligations once again loom large as terrible and Motivations, wtf. I’m probably thinking too hard about it and just need to run it “like a roleplaying game” and stop expecting/demanding that games make it easy on me to run.
Then I looked at Firefly and wondered if it’d be funner with folks who are more mechanically minded than my family. Maybe!
I have Uncharted Worlds in hand but it’s not really inspiring me.
I’m never going to back to FATE so Disapora is a no-go.
Thinking about Burning Empires gives me a backache.
Dunno. It’s been a problem since forever. I have speculations as to why scifi gaming (detached from explicit license celebrations) just don’t seem to do it for me. Got me thinking about how much character-driven sci-fi there actually is in fiction, you know? Not much, I think. It might just be a dumb thing that I can’t put characters before plot/premise and still have it be scifi.
* I think the “I miss the roleplaying” thing has put me into a tailspin of reflection/introspection/navel-gazing. It probably concurrent with a more general ebb in my ever-lengthening sine wave of passion for roleplaying: I’ve had a nice multi-month run of enthusiasm, so it might be time for a multi-month ebb. Boardgames!
* Fall of Magic is still sitting in its box. I’m having a hell of a time getting folks interested. As soon as I describe it as “systemless, like how Durance is” eyes glaze over. Might go into my convention-only pile, along with Montsegur 1244 and Night Witches and Archipelago.
* I’m 99% sure I’m in for Dreamation and I am so stoked. If I can afford the plane tix I’m in. I’ll need a roomie!
* I kind of go hull-down for the holidays anyway (complicated lifetime feels), and I think the general holiday disruption’s impact on my gaming schedule doesn’t help. Nobody’s had to cancel for holiday reasons (yet)! But I also kind of don’t want to make firm plans for a high-commitment game until the new year, I think.