I don’t know about you, but I’m having a hell of a time figuring out what games to run at BBC this year (which I need to nail down by August 15). I have no idea why it’s so hard! But I’ve got some theories:
* Maybe I just don’t want to run anything this year. I paid for a ticket, by gosh I’m gonna be a parasite play some games.
* I don’t want to run something too popular, you know? Like, it won’t be hard to find an Apocalypse World or Urban Shadows or Torchbearer table.
* I’m feeling a tiny bit bored by my go-to con games. Bad news if you were hoping for a Sagas of the Icelanders or Mutant Year Zero game with me! (They’re not off the table, just sharing where my head is at.)
* I’m growing a little weary of all the setup-is-play games. I mean it’s fine, good even, but you can end up with just like 2-3 hours of actual playing and that can feel rushed. This is also on my mind re the whole spread of PbtA.
* In a perfect world, at least one of my own projects would be ready for playtest. I can’t guarantee they will be and I’d hate to let people/myself down. So that’s bumming me out.
* In a near-perfect world, I’d love to give friends exposure for their projects. So if you have something you’d like me to run, LET ME KNOW.
After reviewing my shelves and PDF directories, I’ve narrowed my list down to:
The One Ring (one-shot per my thoughts a few weeks back)
Mutant Year Zero (continuing the road show, building on the map I’ve used three times now)
Sagas of the Icelanders (because it’s just so good and I know folks there who want me to run it)
Meridian (because I told Christian Griffen I’d give it a go there, and I suspect I’ll be tripping over Fall of Magic scrolls all weekend)
Cartel (which I’ll never get to run locally)
Montsegur 1244 (although I’d be all over Rachel E.S. Walton’s Mars 244 hack if it were ready for not-Rachel to facilitate)
Epyllion (because I’ll have not given it a go by the con)
Ooooor I just say fuck it and crash the GOD tables.